The irony is terrible: parents buy sleep positioner devices in an attempt to keep their kids safe. But they really cause suffocation and death.
Most of the infants who died were placed on their sides to sleep, and later found lying on their stomach, dead. Many had their faces close to the foam positioner. It is unclear if these infants died of suffocation or of the other proposed mechanisms of SIDS.
All but one of the infants who died were age three months or less. Most infants who die of SIDS are right around the age when they learn to roll. That learn-to-roll timeframe is the most dangerous for SIDS.
Sadly, many sleep positioners are advertised to “help prevent SIDS.” But the FDA has never approved any infant sleep positioner to reduce the risk of SIDS.
The only way for a baby to sleep safely is on his or her back in a crib. The only things in the crib should be the baby and a tightly fitting crib sheet. No sleep positioners, bumpers, blankets, stuffed animals, etc. What about swaddling blankets, babies that roll over, “breathable bumpers” and breastfeeding babies that like to co-sleep with mommy? I’m a breastfeeding mother of four, and I’ve lived these realities.
Researcher Brenda Lawrence, MD, of the FDA, wrote in the CDC report, “At least nine of the infants were placed on their sides (and one prone), raising the concern that the ‘back-to-sleep’ message to position infants on their backs is either not being heard or not being followed.”
Other research has shown that concern for spit-up/GERD is a primary reason that parents don’t put babies to sleep on their backs. The good news is that babies cannot die by choking on their own spit-up. Healthy babies have a gag reflex, and just like adults they will cough if spit-up gets in their wind pipe (aka trachea). Spit-up may make them cough and be uncomfortable, but they can’t die from it.
The FDA has actually approved a special sleep positioner for babies with GERD. This product can only be obtained with a prescription. But I’m even dubious of this product. GERD does not cause death. SIDS does. Perhaps I’ll have to wait another fifteen years for this research.
My nephew’s identical twin, David, is now a happy, healthy 15 year-old who runs his own web-development business and avoids homework. And I know that he has a twin in heaven watching out for him each day.